Myth Busted: Why the Entrepreneur DIY Mindset Is Sabotaging Your Success

There is a myth which says, “as an entrepreneur you need to do it alone.” This myth of “doing it alone” or “pulling yourself up by your own bootstraps” is premised on the idea that if you somehow get help along the way you didn't really build something or what you built lacks value. 

This mindset may manifest as:

• Not hiring anyone;

• Not investing in your personal growth or business;

• Overworking;

• Lacking boundaries; or

• Feelings of loneliness.

This belief is a straight shot to burnout town and is stifling your success.

Is it true “you have to do it alone?”

Not. At. All. 

We all believe this myth at some point

I fell into this trap early in my own entrepreneurial journey when I started my law firm and coaching business.

One evening, I was venting to my husband about how I was feeling. I said all these things:

“You don’t understand.”

“I feel so alone.”

“I’m doing all the work by myself.”

“I don't have any support as a small solo entrepreneur.”

After I was done, he turned to me indignantly and accusatory, and asked “what am I chopped liver?”

I had no response.

He continued:

“What do you need?”

“Do you need me to scan documents? I'll scan documents.”

“You need me to mail things? I'll mail things.”

“Do you need me to print stuff? I'll print stuff.”

“Tell me what you need. You are not alone. I’m here with you. We are in this together.”

This was an important lesson because I was the one making it harder. I was discounting his help all because I had bought into the myth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dallas Women Entrepreneur Network| Networking Speaker

 ICON is the highly-anticipated annual gathering of eWomenNetwork, the  #1 Business Community for Women Entrepreneurs.  For 23 years – and c...